Ace broadcaster, Kwasi Kyei Darkwah, popularly known as KKD, heads to the Accra Fast Track High Court today to face trial over his alleged rape of a 19-year-old student in a hotel.
This follows the earlier decision of the Kaneshie Magistrate Court on February 19, 2015, to commit him to stand trial at the High Court.
A State Attorney, Ms Malike Woanyo, had told the court that the state had sufficient evidence to commit the suspect to trial at the High Court and that the state prosecution had already served a bill of indictment on the accused person.
“After due examination of the summary of evidence, there is a prima facie to support the charges preferred against the accused person, and it is based on this that the accused should stand trial,” she told the court.
KKD’s lead counsel, Mr Tony Forson Jr, informed the court that the defence team would call-in some witnesses.
He mentioned the names of a cousin of KKD, Kofi Okyere Darko (KOD), a former broadcaster of Radio Gold; Benny Blanco, a friend and presenter on TV3; Dr Emmanuel Srofenyo, a gynaecologist, a crime scene expert and the arresting officer whose name was not given.
KKD had been charged with rape but he had denied the allegation on the grounds that the sexual encounter with the victim was ‘consensual’.
He was arrested at the African Regency Hotel on Saturday, December 27, 2014, following the alleged rape, which reportedly took place in the washroom of the hotel.
Withdrawal of case
On January 12, this year, the 19-year-old alleged rape victim expressed her disinterest in pursuing the case.
She consequently communicated her decision to the police and made copies of the letter available to the director of public prosecutions, the registrar of the High Court and the Chief Justice.
The two-page letter, signed by the victim and issued on January 12, 2015, called on the authorities to stop the case as she would not co-operate in the trial.
In a statement signed and issued in Accra by KKD on January 13, 2015, he asked the public to forgive him for the ridicule and disgrace he had caused his family and that of the victim.
He blamed his shortcoming on what he described as “fleeting pleasure of the flesh” and acknowledged that he had sinned and prayed for God’s forgiveness.
He also expressed deep regret for the harm he had done the young victim and asked the media to spare her, her family and his from further agony.
The Human Rights Division of the Accra High Court granted bail to KKD on humanitarian grounds on January 15, 2015.
The court had considered his ill health and said it was unfair for him to remain in police custody while undergoing medical treatment at his own expense.
It also said the state had failed to ensure that his health needs were met without cost to him, since the “right to life is inviolable and this court has a duty to enforce that”.
Source: Daily Graphic.