Eight persons have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of the two Canadian women at Ahodwo in the Ashanti Region.
The suspects include five Ghanaians and three Nigerians.
They were arrested on Wednesday morning after an operation which freed the two women who were kidnapped last week Tuesday.
The Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, made this known at a press conference in Accra on Wednesday afternoon.
According to him, no foreign intelligence/security operatives were involved in the operation which was led by the National Security of Ghana.
He added that the CID, BNI, SWAT and and Defence Intelligence played vital roles in the rescue mission which started Tuesday and ended at dawn Wednesday.
Mr Oppong-Nkrumah said the two women were rescued at Kenyasi, near Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.
Mr Oppong-Nkrumah stressed that no ransom was paid in exchange for the kidnapped women.
“No ransom was paid, no ransom was discussed between our security agencies and the kidnappers on this matter,” he said.
The pair are currently in Accra being assessed by doctors and psychologists.