The Captain of the national team, the Black Stars, has been adjudged the Tourism Ambassador of the Year at his year’s National Tourism Awards held at the State Banquet Hall in Accra.
Asamoah Gyan, who captained that national team to the 2010 World Cup Competition in South Africa, was given the honour for his contribution to the promotion of the country’s national heritage, image and talent abroad.
A citation following the award said his leadership role in the team had seen it going places while ensuring that the football credentials of the country is showcased in the international arena.
His brother, Baffuor Gyan, received the award on behalf of the striker, who was influential in Ghana’s recent qualification to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The Labadi Beach Hotel was also adjudged the five-star hotel of the year, which was the biggest award of the night.
Other winners included Mr Kofi Akpabli of The Mirror for Tourism Journalist of the Year and the Graphic Communications Group Limited for tourism Oriented Media, Print Category, among others.
Honorary awards were also given to deserving institutions and individuals for their contribution to the promotion and development of the tourism industry.
The awards event bounced back this year after five years of absence.
Below are the award winners at the event:
Corporate support category:
1. Kasapreko Company Limited
2. Promotion of tourism through insurance: Glico Group
3. Waste management support for tourism promotion: Zoomlion Ghana Limited
4. Facilitation of tourism through telecommunication products: Telephonika Ghana Limited
5. Non-governmental support for tourism: Rechecka
6. International Agency support for tourism training: JICA Ghana
7. International Agency support for health intervention in tourism: GIZ
8. Distinctive performance in event and conference tourism: Coconut Grove Hotels
9. Distinctive contribution to the promotion of night life: Vienna City, Takoradi
10. Distinctive contribution to the promotion of sports tourism: Africa Origin and Support Tourism
11. Exemplary Host: Mrs Jayne Sefa Boakye
Tourism Supply Chain Category
1. Foam Products: Latex Foam Products Limited
2. Distribution of diversified beverages: T. T. Brothers Limited
Recognition awards for distinctive roles in key sectors
1. Dr Samian Camoni of Papaye Foods
2. Mrs Yvonne Ndoum of Coconut Grove Hotels
3. Mrs Doris Addo of Linda Door for pioneering role in highway restaurant
4. Mr Kwame Kyei of the Glico Group
5. Dr Micheal Agyekum Addo of Kama Group for pioneering role in conference centre establishments
Competitive awards category
1. Tourism oriented media online: Google Ghana
2. Tourism oriented media, print: Graphic Communications Group Limited
3. Tourism oriented media, radio: Citi FM
4. Toursim oriented television: Metro TV
5. Transportation support for Tourism: Metro Mass Transport Limited
6. Tourism Ambassador of the Year: Asamoah Gyan (Captain of the Black Stars)
7. District Assembly Support for Tourism Development: Kwahu South District Assembly
8. Tourism Journalist of the Year: Mr Kofi Akpabli
9. New Comer of the Year: Africa World Airlines
10. Site Guide of the Year: Mr Tompane Amba (a certificate, a plague and a return ticket to Istanbul in Turkey)
11. Tour Guide of the Year: Mr Felix Ngua of Elmina a certificate, a plague and a return ticket to Istanbul in Turkey)
12. Car Rental of the Year: Yoks Car Rentals
13. Tour Operator of the Year: Sun Seekers Tours
14. Drinking Bar of the Year: Treasures Pub Accra
14. Traditional Catering Services nor the Year (Chop Bar): Agbeme Heavy Annex, Ho
15. Night Club of the Year: Aphrodisiac Night Club
16. Fast Food Establishment of the Year: Papaye Fast Foods
17. Restaurant of the Year, Ghanaian: Azmera Restaurant, Roman Ridge, Accra
18. Restaurant of the Year, International: Moti Mahaw, Kumasi
19. Hostel of the Year: Katas Hotel, Accra
20. Budget Accommodation Establishment of the Year: Washington View Hotel, Ejisu
21. Guest House of the Year: Akisiah Guest House, Haatso
22. Travel Agency of the Year: Travel House, Asokwa in Kumasi
23. One-Star Hotel of the Year: Vigrosun Lodge, Wenchi
24. Two-Star Hotel of the Year: Htel Majory Y, Tema
25. Three-Star Hotel of the Year: Planters Lodge, Takoradi
26. Four-Star Hotel of the Year: Fiesta Royale Hotel, Dzorwulu, Accra
27. Five-Star Hotel of the Year: Labadi Beach Hotel
Credit : Daily Graphic