Canelo Alvarez says he’ll have plans A through C, and that he’s ready to take the biggest test of his career against Floyd Mayweather on September 14.
Canelo Alvarez says he’s prepared, as we are now just 11 days away from fight night, when Canelo will face Floyd Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, live on Showtime pay-per-view. Like many other Mayweather opponents, who have all come up short, Alvarez says he has plans A, B, and C, and that he knows he’s facing the best in the world.
“Floyd is a different kind of fighter and this is a different kind of fight. For every fight there’s a game plan. But that game plan can go out the window in the first round. So you have to have a Plan B and a Plan C. And that is what we’ll work on.”
… “I’m fighting the best. This is my chance to beat the best. It’s a chance to go down in history as the first guy to beat Floyd Mayweather.”
Alvarez (42-0-1, 30 KO) scored a career-best win in April over Austin Trout, knocking down the previously unbeaten junior welterweight contender and titlist en route to a decision win in San Antonio. But Canelo was hardly dominant, and Mayweather is not Austin Trout. We’re talking about another massive leap in competition. But it’s hard to fault Canelo’s determination; he wasn’t expected to fight Trout, but he demanded that fight. He then demanded and now has a fight with the absolute best boxer on the planet. The pro-Canelo hope will be that he hasn’t let that youthful confidence and ambition get him into a situation where his progress is stunted.