Seventeen more schools have had their entire results withheld by the West African Examination Council WAEC) on suspicion of cheating in the 2013 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
The number brings to 130 schools that have had their entire results withheld because of various examination malpractices.
The Principal Public Relations Officer of the WAEC, Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, who disclosed this added that so far only eight of the affected schools had been cleared of any malpractice and, therefore, their results had been released.
She said those eight were found not to have registered unqualified candidates or involved in any mass cheating that is why “so their results have been released.”
Mrs Teye-Cudjoe explained that as and when any of those schools were found not to have cheated in any way, their results would be released.
She explained that the Computerised School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) would start as scheduled and would, therefore, not wait for those schools or individual candidates under investigation.
The WAEC Principal PRO hinted that a series of meetings were being held to determine the fate of the affected schools, adding that those schools had been directed to present some documents to the investigation committee for verification.
She disclosed that the next meeting to determine the fate of the affected schools and individuals would be held on October 2, 2013.
Mrs Teye-Cudjoe said schools that would be found to have engaged in mass cheating would have the affected subjects cancelled, “but those schools which had external assistance would have the entire results of their candidates cancelled.”
“If the results of BECE candidates are cancelled, they are expected to go back to their former schools to be registered to enable them rewrite the exams,” she explained.
Source: Daily Graphic