Since the actress, together with some celebrities, announced her intention to embark on the vigil on May 16 to protest the power crisis, referred to locally as ‘Dumsor’, the event has been rocked with series of challenges.
Yvonne Nelson, Sarkodie, Lydia Forson and others were accused of doing the bidding of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) – an accusation they have flatly rejected.
Last week, authorities of the University of Ghana and managers of the Total Ghana, owners of On-The-Run, turned down requests by organizers of the vigil to use their premises as the convergence point for the event.
Both outfits stated the organizers had no permission to use their premises.
The Ga Traditional Council petitioned the Greater Accra Regional Police Command to stop the vigil.
The traditional authorities say the exercise cannot take place due to the ban on drumming and noise-making which from May 11 and ends in June.
Yvonne Nelson speaking in an interview with Joy News said the vigil will go on as planned and they are not ready to back down.
“Everything is in place, we are still having our vigil on the 16th same venue, it’s the bridge in between the Legon gate and On-The-Run, that is where we are having it. We are walking down towards the Accra Mall area around Villaggio,” she said.
The actress noted that she is unperturbed by the minor setbacks the event has suffered. “When you embark on any great thing you are going to have challenges so that’s normal. We’ve come a long way, I believe Ghanaians deserve better so I just want everyone to come out and support what we are doing…”
“We just want our voices to be heard because the average Ghanaian on the streets in Kaneshie will complain and nobody will hear her voice or his voice so I just want to be that person to bring out everyone’s voices,” she added.
Source: Joy News.